Describe an occasion when you had to do something in a hurry

"When life throws you a curveball, it's best to be prepared and act fast - especially when it comes to getting things done in a hurry!"

Describe an Occasion When You Had to Do Something in a Hurry

The IELTS speaking test can be a bit daunting, especially if you're not sure what to expect.

One of the things you may be asked to do is describe a time when you had to do something in a hurry.

Below are a few tips on how to approach this cue card.

How to Answer the "Doing Something In a Hurry Cue Card" | Part 2 IELTS Speaking Test

The best way to approach this cue card is to think of a time when you had to do something that was either time-sensitive or physically demanding.

For example, maybe you had to finish a project at work before a deadline, or maybe you had to clean up your house before guests arrived.

Whatever the situation was, it should be something that required you to move quickly.

On What Occasions Do People Have To Do Things In A Hurry?

Everyday examples of people doing things in a hurry include:

  • Eating breakfast
  • Rushing to work
  • Grabbing a coffee on the go
  • Answering emails during meetings
  • Multitasking during phone calls
  • Getting dressed quickly
  • Making breakfast
  • Brushing your teeth
  • Putting on makeup
  • Preparing/Packing your lunch
  • Eating lunch
  • Doing homework
  • Finishing an assignment
  • Taking a shower
  • Getting ready for bed
  • Commuting to work
  • Finishing a project
  • Exercising
  • Making dinner

Examples of When You had to Do Something in Hurry (NOT Everyday Activities)

  • I recall rushing to print out essential travel documents moments before heading to the airport, fearing the ominous possibility of being denied boarding.
  • I had to compile a crucial report under the time pressure of an impending deadline for my old boss to avert negative consequences at their previous job.
  • I had to hastily prepare for a presentation at my current job, which unfortunately led to a dip in my academic performance due to the conflict in priorities.
  • I almost panicked racing through the railway station to catch a train; arriving late would have meant missing an important family event.
  • During an office transition, we had to quickly pack up our desks and belongings under the assumption that the new location would be ready. It turned out to be an interesting topic among my coworkers because of the disarray it caused.
  • Arriving late for a meeting due to snarled traffic, I had to sprint from the parking lot to the conference room, making it just in time for my turn to present.
  • I experienced increased stress when I had to move to a new apartment in a limited time frame, all while balancing work commitments.
  • A recent experience taught me the value of preparation when, during a last-minute review, I discovered an error in a proposal, with only one to two minutes to correct it before a second interview.

Once you have your example, you'll want to give a brief description of the situation and then talk about how you handled it.

Example sentences of doing something in a hurry:

  • I need to hurry up and catch the bus
  • I was hurrying to get to work on time when I tripped and fell.
  • We were hurrying to catch our train when we realized we left our bags at the restaurant.
  • Hurry up and finish your homework so we can watch TV.
  • The movie starts in ten minutes, so we'd better hurry.
  • He's always hurrying around and never has time to relax.
  • She hurried out of the room without saying a word.
  • He hurried off to catch his bus.
  • They hurried away before the police arrived.
  • We'll have to hurry if we want to get there before it's too late.

Were you able to stay calm? Did you finish everything in time? What would you have done differently if you could go back and do it again?

Finally, try to expand your answer by talking about other times when you've had to hurry. Maybe certain situations always seem to make you feel rushed, like getting ready in the morning or dealing with traffic.

Or maybe there are certain things that you're always in a hurry to do, like eating lunch or getting home from work. Whatever the case may be, try to give specific examples and talk about how hurrying makes you feel.

Summary

While the "in a hurry" cue card may seem daunting at first, it's not too difficult to prepare for. Just think of a time when you had to move quickly, describe the situation, and then talk about how hurrying makes you feel. With a little practice, you'll be able to handle this cue card with ease!


Describe an occasion when you had to do something in a hurry | Model Answer

I remember one time when I had to finish a project for work in a hurry. I had to stay up all night to get it done, and it was pretty stressful. But I ended up doing a good job, and my boss was happy with the results. Even though it wasn't fun having to work under that kind of pressure, it felt good to know that I could handle it.

It all started when my boss asked me to stay late to finish a project. I had to stay up all night to finish the project. It was urgent and my boss needed it the next day.

The project was to finish a report on our company's sales for the quarter. I had to compile all of the data from the sales team and put it into a presentation. It was a lot of work, but I managed to get it done.

What made it especially challenging was that I had to do it all in one night. I was up until 3:00 in the morning finishing the project. It was pretty stressful, but I'm glad I was able to get it done.

I didn't have a choice. My boss needed it the next day and there was no way I could finish it during regular work hours.

I ended up doing a good job. My boss was happy with the results. I would have preferred to have more time to work on it, but I'm glad it turned out well in the end.

It wasn't fun having to work under that kind of pressure, but it felt good to know that I could handle it. Looking back on it, it was a good learning experience.

Follow-up question: Do you think doing things in a hurry sometimes gets the best results?

It depends. In some cases, working quickly or poor time management can lead to mistakes being made. However, there are also times when working quickly can lead to better results because it forces you to think creatively and come up with solutions that you might not have thought of if you had more time. Ultimately, it depends on the situation.


When was the last time you did something in a hurry?

Oh, let me tell you about the last time I did something in a rush! It was actually just last week. I had this big presentation for work that I had been preparing for weeks. I had everything ready: my slides, my talking points, and even my outfit was picked out. But you know how life has a way of throwing curveballs at you? That's exactly what happened to me.

I woke up on the morning of the presentation and the electricity was out! I panicked right away because I needed to make last-minute tweaks to my presentation, and my laptop's battery was low. I decided to head to a nearby coffee shop to get some work done. But as luck would have it, I had forgotten my laptop charger at home. So there I was, racing against my battery life, trying to finish up everything before it shut down.

I managed to get most things done, but I had to skip my usual practice routine. I usually rehearse my presentation at least five times before the actual thing. But this time, I had to wing it. Despite the rush and the nerves, I managed to keep it together. I gave my presentation, and to my surprise, it went pretty well. It wasn't perfect, but considering the circumstances, I was pretty proud of myself!

In hindsight, it was a learning experience. I realized that while it's good to be prepared and have everything planned out, you also need to be flexible and ready to adapt to unpredictable situations. So, in a way, doing something in a hurry taught me a valuable life lesson.

What do you say when you are in a hurry?

When in a hurry, communicate that quite clearly to those around you. Common phrases to use:

  • "I'm really against the clock here"
  • "I'm running late, so I need to speed up"
  • "I'm in a rush, could we possibly pick this up later?"

When pressed for time, clarity is key, it's essential to communicate rather than leave anyone in the dark.

Other expressions that convey urgency:

  • "I'm on a tight schedule"
  • "I've got to dash off soon"

If trying to end a conversation quickly you can use:

  • "I hate to cut this short, but I really have to run."

It's all about expressing the urgency of the situation without coming off as rude or dismissive.

So, always make sure to apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank people for their understanding when you're in a hurry.


Popular posts from this blog

Which facilities are most important to people living in cities?

What did you study in history lessons when you were at school?

Why have cities increased in size in recent years? | 3 Reasons

Describe Your Favorite Advertisement - Why Do You Like It?