Describe an object that is special to you | Speaking Topics

In the IELTS Speaking test Part 2, you will be given a cue card and asked to talk about a topic for 1-2 minutes.

Part 2 is your opportunity to show off your English speaking skills, so it is vital to be prepared.

Tips on how to answer the cue card question "Describe an object that is special to you."

Objects that are easiest to describe:

Some objects are easier to describe than others. For example, it is easier to describe a unique object than a commonplace one.

It is also easier to describe an object you are familiar with and have a strong emotional connection to.



To get the most out of your 1-2 minutes, try choosing an object that falls into one of these categories.

  1. A childhood toy
  2. A family heirloom
  3. A gift from a loved one
  4. An item with sentimental value
  5. A piece of art
  6. A musical instrument
  7. A book
  8. A photograph
  9. A piece of jewelry
  10. Clothing


How to describe an object in detail

Once you have chosen your object, spend some time thinking about how you will describe it.

You will want to include as many details as possible so that your listener can picture the object in their mind.

Think about its size, shape, color, texture, and other distinguishing features.

Also, think about what makes the object special to you and why you chose it.

When ready, start by giving a brief overview of the object.

Then, go into more detail about its appearance and any special meaning it has for you. Be sure not only to describe the object but also to explain why it is special to you.

Remember to wrap up by giving your overall impression of the object.

The IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 allows test-takers to showcase their English speaking skills. When preparing for this cue card, try to choose a unique object or one that has personal significance.

Once you have chosen your object, take some time to brainstorm how you will describe it in detail.

Remember to include its physical characteristics and any emotional meaning it has for you.

With careful preparation, you can ace this section of the IELTS!



Describe an object that is special to you

Model answer:

An object that is very special to me is my grandfather's watch. It was passed down to me by my father, and it is something that I cherish deeply. It is a reminder of the wonderful man my grandfather was, and how much he loved me. Whenever I wear it, I feel like he is with me, watching over me.

Let me tell you about it. It is a gold pocket watch with an intricate design on the front. The back is engraved with my grandfather's initials and the date that he was born. It is a beautiful piece that I am very proud to own.

I wind it up every morning and I can hear the mechanism ticking as it keeps time. It is a constant reminder of the preciousness of time and how we should make every moment count.

This watch has been through a lot with me, through good times and bad times. It is a part of my family history and means the world to me.

Every time I look at it, I am reminded of my grandfather and the wonderful moments we shared. He was a wise and kind man, and I am so grateful to have his watch as a reminder of him. Whenever I need a little bit of extra motivation, I just look at the watch and think about all that he accomplished in his life.

I know this watch will continue to be a treasured part of my family for generations to come. It is more than just a timepiece - it symbolizes our history and love for each other.



Similar cue cards
- Describe an object that has sentimental value for you
- Describe an object that is important to you
- Talk about something that is important to you

Popular posts from this blog

Why is architecture such a popular university subject?

Which facilities are most important to people living in cities?

What kinds of monuments do tourists in your country enjoy visiting?

Describe Your Favorite Advertisement - Why Do You Like It?

Why have cities increased in size in recent years? | 3 Reasons